Red-striped Rasbora

The Rasbora pauciperforata, or Red-striped Rasbora, has to be one of the best Rasbora species I have kept. This sleek and streamlined fish loves a habitat of a planted aquarium that imitates its homeland environment of streams, rivers and lakes of Malaysia and Sumatra.

For housing these fish, I would suggest a minimum size aquarium of 15 gallons because of their shoaling tendencies, which like to have a school of around 5 or more individuals. To make them feel at home in the aquarium be sure to have it well planted with aquatic plants, and use logs and rocks as decorations to imitate its homeland environment. Advisable size tank mates for this Rasbora would be most fish that are peaceful and grow to around 5.5 cm.

I have my 7 Red-striped Rasboras in a 48 gallon planted Asian tropical community aquarium. This variety of Rasbora has to be the best looking Rasbora I have seen. The red stripe of this Rasbora is very stunning. A neon style red line runs from its snout to the beginning of the caudal fin, displaying a clear silvery body, with its internal organs being visible.

I find the Red-striped Rasbora not fussy about food. Actually, it really darts at any food I give them. I feed my Red-stripe Rasbora a diet of JBL Staple Flake Food. I also supplement their diet with frozen brine shrimp.

So, from past experience, I would say this fish would be very good for a beginner to start with. One time I forgot to plug the heaters in, and three days later the temperature was around 10 degrees Celsius. While the other fish felt the effects rather dramatically, these tough little fellows lived on as if nothing had ever happened.
Member of  AquaBanners.com